Wilhelm's Portland Memorial began as Portland Cremation Association, forming the Northwest’s first cremation association. The cornerstone was placed February 5, 1901 in the still-existing historic chapel structure.
The Povey Brothers, Louis C. Tiffany and the Gerlichs (stained glass artists) designed & installed many of the beautiful historic stained glass skylights and windows throughout the main chapel entryway. In 1910 construction continued on niche and vault room memorials.
At that time, it was renamed “The Portland Memorial”. Construction and improvements have continued over the last 100 years. The historically significant mausoleum encompasses two and a half city blocks and is one of the largest indoor cemeteries in the Pacific Northwest.
In 2008 our family company, Wilhelm Funeral Home took over the management of Portland Memorial and combined it together to form Wilhelm's Portland Memorial Funeral Home. Our family-owned company now offers the services of a funeral home, several chapel areas, reception center, crematory, mausoleum and cremation garden all in one convenient location.